On this page, I’ve brought together most if not all of my travel posts, except those describing visits (in the UK) to National Trust and English Heritage properties. These you can find on another page.
I have a series of general travel posts, under the heading Around the world in 40 years, in which I have written about my many travels worldwide. Then there is a set of posts about trips around the UK, in Asia, and South and Central America.
Our elder daughter and her family live in Minnesota. Since 2010 (after I retired) Steph and I have traveled to the USA each year, and made long road trips. These are described in some detail. And I’ve also plotted many of the special places we have visited on a map.
Around the world . . .
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 1: Home is where the heart is.
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 2. Winter days in Santiago
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 3. Guatemala
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 4. Elections and bombs in Jo’burg
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 5. Under African skies.
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 6. Trekking the red wine trail
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 7. Letting the train take the strain
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 8. SPQR
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 9. That is the trouble with flying: we always have to return to airports . . . (Henry Minizburg)
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 10. Follow the yellow brick road
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 11. Peru: jewel of the Andes
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 12. Hong Kong and Macau
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 13. Tales (mainly) from the ‘Ring of Fire’
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 14. On opposite coasts
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 15. In my father’s footsteps
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 16. Crossing the glittering mountains of Canada
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 17: Not quite a Damascene experience
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 18: Where East meets West
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 19: O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 20: Volcanoes, temples, and rice in Bali
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 21: Taking in Tokyo (and Tsukuba)
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 22: Iberian capitals
- Around the world in 40 years . . . Part 23: An Anglo-Italian connection
- Forever my ‘home town’
- A ‘heavenly’ icon of the North
- A canal for all seasons . . .
- A new railway station for Bromsgrove (updated 5 October 2018)
- A walk down memory lane . . . literally
- Christmas in July . . .
- Elgar’s county – a land of hope and glory?
- Farewell to a Queen . . .
- Just a late summer morning walk . . .
- Leek – Queen of the Moorlands (updated 2018-11-05)
- Navigating the Stourport Ring
- Spring is in the air in Worcestershire
- Strange shapes on the skyline
- The (new) Age of Steam
- The cave dwellers of south Staffordshire
- The Lady of the North
- The RHS Chelsea Flower Show . . . 100 not out!
- With The Beatles . . .
- Kernow a’gas dynergh – Welcome to Cornwall (1): The journey south . . . and back
- Kernow a’gas dynergh – Welcome to Cornwall (2): Coast to coast
- Kernow a’gas dynergh – Welcome to Cornwall (3): Stepping back in time
- Kernow a’gas dynergh – Welcome to Cornwall (4): An impressive horticultural legacy
- Kernow a’gas dynergh – Welcome to Cornwall (5): Magnificent mansions
- Walking with my mobile:  Out and about on 20 March
- Walking with my mobile:  Exploring my hometown
- Walking with my mobile:  Water and steel
- You’d be hard-pushed to be ‘one over the eight’ in Bromsgrove (updated 18 April)
- A glorious Hebridean double act . . .
- Fàilte gu Alba – expansive landscapes and big skies
- Landscapes of ‘The Lewis Man’
- O ye’ll tak’ the high road and I’ll tak the low road . . . Fàilte gu Alba!
- Orcas are social animals . . .
- Returning to Hogha Gearraidh after 49 years
- Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing . . .
- The end of the road . . .
- Indiana Me . . . temples in the jungle
- Anilao: jewel in the Philippines diving crown
- Like a duck to water . . . scuba diving in the Philippines
- Sky-high paddies . . .
South and Central America
- Guayabo National Monument in Costa Rica
- Tikal – may the force be with you
- A botanical field trip to the south of Peru . . . 45 years ago
- And pigs might fly . . .
- City in the sky . . . celebrating Machu Picchu
- Coast and mountains – remembering a 1974 road trip in northern Peru
- Has global warming changed the landscape?
- Heading south to the highest lake in the world
- In a corner of Pueblo Libre, Lima . . . one of the most important buildings in Peru
- Perú – país precioso
- Riding a big wave of nostalgia for Peru
- Taking in the central sierra . . .
- Wishing I was in Cuzco . . .
I’ve visited all the states colored blue. In the two states shown in green, I’ve just touched down during a flight before proceeding on the same flight. I have not yet visited the states in white – although we plan to visit those in the northeast later this year.
You can navigate round the map below, or open a larger version with this link. There are links to blog posts and/or photo albums on each icon.
Canyons of the southwest (2011)
Oregon and California (2013)
- Capes, coves . . . and endless beaches – the beauty of Oregon
- The blue waters of Crater Lake, Oregon
- The coastal giants of northern California
St Paul to Yellowstone (2014)
- ‘The most beautiful roadway in America’
- A close encounter of the igneous kind . . .
- Earth, wind, fire and water . . . Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- Go West, young man . . .
- Hardly a high plains drifter . . .
- Presidential faces in the sky
- South Dakota’s Badlands . . .
- They fought to defend their way of life . . .
- ‘Perhaps the most typically American place in America’. (James Bryce, 1888)
- Letting the train take the strain – Amtrak-style
Georgia to Minnesota (2017)
- Ten days, eleven states (1): Almost 2800 miles from Georgia to Minnesota
- Ten days, eleven states (2): Sauntering around Savannah
- Ten days, eleven states (3): Ambling through the Appalachians
- Ten days, eleven states (4): It’s all in the branding
- Ten days, eleven states (5): The longest cave system in the world
- Ten days, eleven states (6): The mighty Mississippi, or is it?
- Ten days, eleven states (7): Revisiting the Twin Cities
Massachusetts to Minnesota (2018)
- Blown away by Mt Washington . . .
- Massachusetts to Minnesota (1): the first three days in MA, VT and NH
- Massachusetts to Minnesota (2): a week in Maine
- Massachusetts to Minnesota (3): onwards to Niagara Falls
- Massachusetts to Minnesota (4): heading west through NY, PA, OH, KY and IN, then on to MN
- Sometimes, history just passes me by . . . particularly in Ohio
USA 2019 – Northeast and Atlantic States
- ¿Cómo está?
- ‘Where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.’
- A bridge too four . . .
- A Minnesota monsoon . . . and more
- A sign of the times . . .
- Can’t see the wood for the trees . . .
- Gardens, apples and pumpkins
- It was colder than a witch’s tit . . .
- Lakes and leaves – spending time in the Twin Cities
- Meandering beside the mighty Mississippi in Minnesota
- Photographing the Summit-Selby neighbourhood of St Paul
- Relaxing in Minnesota
- The Minnesota Riviera . . .
- Driving on the ‘wrong’ side
- Eating out for breakfast – a great American tradition
- Planning a USA road trip
- An eventful start to my journey home . . .
- Around the world through 191 airports . . . and counting
- Delta Comfort+: an aviation oxymoron?
- How costly can the letter ‘e’ be?
- It’s amazing what a difference an extra four inches can make . . .
- Love it or hate it . . .
- No longer Queen of the Skies
- The Emirates A380-800 – what a bird!